The castle was built after 1317 and was in sovereign possession from 1410. Subsequently the owners changed frequently.
Since 1816 the building has been used as a brewery. The largely preserved core building from the 14th century includes a rectangular ring wall system with a five-storey keep in the northern part and a connected southern three-storey main building. Several single gothic and baroque building details are preserved.